The Hospice has an important remit in leading and delivering an integrated Palliative Care Education programme to all healthcare professionals in the locality to ensure that patients are cared for in the best possible way in their preferred place of care, wherever that setting may be.
- We taught 41 medical students from Liverpool University studying to be doctors and 35 student nurse placements from local universities
- As a teaching unit, Willowbrook Hospice was able to offer a 6 month placements for an SPR (trainee Consultant) and 4 placements for GP Registrars.
- Our quarterly Community Forum disseminated End of Life Care education and best practice to 76 care homes in our catchment area, who together, provide a total of 2945 beds, supporting people to stay in their preferred place of care and helping to reduce hospital admissions.
- The Integrated Palliative Care medical team delivered a very successful three session GP Palliative Education course to 48 local healthcare professionals including GPs and nurses.
- Our staff are encouraged to attend national and international conferences to broaden their experience and promote the good work done at Willowbrook. Wherever possible we encourage staff to submit extracts of their work.
- We also encourage non healthcare staff to pursue professional qualifications wherever possible not only for their own personal development but also to demonstrate the professional way in which we approach our work whether it is Health and Safety, HR, Finance or Fundraising etc
Willowbrook Hospice has excellent teaching facilities with a dedicated seminar room on the first floor with audio visual teaching aids. On the ground floor, staff can access the most up to date NHS on line Core Learning courses in our dedicated Training room. We also have a small library with many up to date periodicals, journals and reference books to help support our staff and visiting healthcare professionals.
We also have a large 39 space car park in the hospice grounds which means that visiting students and delegates can park on the hospice grounds free allowing them to concentrate on their studies.
The Living Well
The Living Well has excellent teaching facilities with a large conference room on the first floor with audio visual teaching aids, suitable for large local and regional meetings.
The Living well is located just out of outside St Helens Town Centre and is accessible by car and public transport. It has a large, free 85 space car park .