Willowbrook Hospice is an Independent Charity established in 1993 by a group of local people to raise funds to build and run a Specialist Palliative Care Unit.
Willowbrook Hospice, located in Prescot, cares for patients with life limiting diseases living in St Helens, Knowsley and the surrounding areas.
Who provides your care
Opened in 1997, the Hospice is governed by a Board of Trustees, Chaired by Alan Chick and run on a day to day basis by Neil Wright, the Chief Executive, an experienced management team, over 120 staff and over 550 volunteers. The hospice could not function without the valuable contribution of it’s volunteers.
The clinical team is led by Dr Paula Powell, Clinical Lead, and Chris Haywood, the Registered Manager and Director of Clinical Services. Together, with their Medical, Nursing and Allied Healthcare Professional teams, they are responsible for delivering the Hospice’s five main services, In-patient, Well Being, Out Patient and Therapy services and the Advance Care Planning Team.
What is Hospice Care
A hospice is not just a building, it is a way of caring for people. Hospice care aims to improve the lives of people who have a life-limiting or terminal illness, helping them to live well before they die.
Hospice care not only takes care of people’s physical needs, but looks after their emotional, spiritual and social needs as well. It also supports carers, family members and close friends, both during a person’s illness and in bereavement.
What is palliative care?
Palliative care is the holistic and total care of someone who is approaching the end of life, their family and carers. It aims to maintain and improve the quality of their life, and offers support during the course of the illness and following the death of the patient for their family and friends.
We have 12 in-patient beds, hold weekly out-patient clinics and are registered for up to 60 day therapy places a week. Although approximately three quarters of our patients have cancer we treat other life limiting diseases such as motor neurone disease, end stage heart failure, lung disease.
We work very closely in partnership with the local health care community to improve the quality of people’s lives living with their illness . We liaise with the Hospital Specialist Palliative Care Team, the Community Specialist Palliative Care Team and the local Primary Care Teams, including local GPs and district nurses.
Although we provide care for patients at the end of their life, our statistics show that many of our inpatients are discharged back to their preferred place of care, usually home, dispelling the myth that a Hospice is just a place where you go to die.
The Hospice has an important remit in leading and delivering an integrated Palliative Care Education programme to all healthcare professionals across the locality. This ensures that patients are cared for in the best possible way in their preferred place of care, wherever that setting may be.
As a Charity, we make no charge for our services, but rely on our own fundraising efforts and a modest contribution from the NHS. This enables us to provide support to patients and their families according to their individual needs.
Our care is free to patients but is not free to provide. Last year to 31st March 2017, it cost £4.495m to run the Hospice Organisation. We are part funded by the NHS who make a contribution of approximately 34.5% towards our running costs. This means that we have to rely on generous donations from the public and our own fundraising efforts to raise the other 65.5%.
Our Fundraising team are based at Willowbrook Hospice’s The Living Well building on Borough Road, St Helens.
We also have a separate Trading company which runs the Willowbrook Hospice Lottery and our ten charity shops, two situated in St Helens, one in Bridge Street and a charity superstore in St Marys arcade with other shops in Thatto Heath, Rainford, Fingerpost, Prescot, Page Moss, Fouracre, Dovecote, Stockbridge Village and a small shop selling new goods inside the Hospice foyer.
We also have a large 7500 square feet donation warehouse and distribution centre in Sutton, St Helens, opposite Morrisons supermarket.
Since the Hospice opened in 1997, we have cared for over 7500 patients. During that time our services have grown so much that we now receive over 1100 patient referrals a year.